Restart Plan 2020 – Public Notice Lycée International de Houston
Return to School in August
In order to provide a safe and secure learning environment for its students, the Lycée International de Houston will adhere to the following guidelines.
The information below may change depending on updated U.S. Department of Education, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Guidance, the Texas Health and Human Services (HSS), and/or the Texas Child Care Licensing (CCL) – DFPS information released prior to opening in August.
School Administration will carefully monitor these information sources to keep parents, guardians, and students well informed.
- Daily arrival wellness check-in/temperature check for students and staff
Per TEA In evaluating whether an individual has symptoms consistent with COVID-19, consider the following questions: Have they recently begun experiencing any of the following in a way that is not normal for them?
Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
Loss of taste or smell
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
Significant muscle pain or ache
- Self-assessment training for students-how are you feeling today?
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the school
- Preschool and elementary students will be encouraged to wash their hands several times a day (all preschool and elementary classrooms have sinks)
- Hand sanitizing station will be available at the entrance/exit point at the school
- Disinfectant wipes will be available in each classroom and at all common areas
- High touch areas will be cleaned twice daily by on-site full-time cleaning personnel
- The school will undergo a deep cleaning at the end of each school day
- Additional classroom/activity space will be made available at LIH to ensure sufficient spacing for students and activities
- Some desks and unnecessary furniture will be removed from classrooms and common areas to provide additional safe working space for students
- Signs will appear throughout the school to remind everyone to keep their distance, to wash hands frequently, to avoid touching their face, to sneeze into their arm
- Foot traffic throughout the school will be controlled by floor signs
- Break times will be staggered to minimize large groups
- Lunch will be served in the classrooms
- Sharing of any school supplies or food will be discouraged
- Washroom access will be limited to 2 students at a time
- Daily communication with families/guardians regarding student attendance and absences
Only pre-approved visitors and essential personnel will be allowed in the school
- LIH has a student teacher ratio of 10:1
- Class size will be limited to 15
Governor Abbott has directed schools to re-open for in-person instruction this fall, as well as offer parents the option for virtual instruction. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) further mandated that in-person instruction follow a Monday through Friday schedule. The Lycée International de Houston will offer in-person learning with multiple safety protocols and COVID-19 prevention measures, and a virtual option.
Option 1: In-Person Instruction
In person instruction includes the traditional classroom or face-to-face instruction, face-to-face instruction is when the instructor and the students of an educational institution are in a place devoted to instruction and the teaching and learning take place at the same time. In this setting all performances and displays of a work are allowed. Daily attendance is taken.
Option 2: Virtual Learning Classrooms
- Students in Grades PK-12 may choose the virtual learning environment.
- Parents will be required to complete a Virtual Learning Application.
- Parents must provide the media device for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Parents or guardians must provide internet service that will allow students to use their device.
- Any computer equipment supplied by the school is on loan during enrollment and must be returned upon withdrawal, graduation, or at the request of the school.
- LIH teachers will provide daily instruction via our virtual learning platforms.
- Teachers will interact with students during live sessions.
- Students and parents will be able to contact teachers during posted office hours as needed.
- Attendance for virtual students will be taken daily. Virtual students must “attend” class daily in accordance with the LIH calendar.
- Students fulfill attendance requirements when they log in to their classes daily during the designated window.
- Students are required to abide by LIH attendance policies and procedures.
- Teachers will not be required to provide live instruction after the regular school day ends.
The Virtual Learning Classrooms or Remote Synchronous Instruction: Two-way, real-time/live, virtual instruction between teachers and students when students are not on campus. In this method, the required amount of instructional time is scheduled each day and is provided through a computer or other electronic device or over the phone.
Please note: LIH may not be able to support some instructional programs and course offerings that would otherwise be available.
For the 2020-2021 school year, the instructional day start and end times are:
7:50 AM to 3:30 PM.
- All faculty and staff are required to complete a daily self-screening for symptoms prior to arriving to work
- All faculty and staff must practice appropriate hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and social distancing
- All faculty and staff are required to wear a facial covering while in classrooms, common spaces, and when social distancing cannot occur
- All faculty and staff are expected to clean and sanitize workspace before and after use
- Masks and face shields are mandatory and will be provided to staff and faculty, parent must provide masks for students more than 10 years of age.
- Centre for Disease Control (CDC) guidance for K-12 school settings is that personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves are not needed, beyond those used by staff and faculty as part of regular precautions for the hazards normally encountered in their regular course of work.
- Temperature scanners will be used at the reception and the carpool entrance to the school
- Anyone showing signs of an increased temperature will be asked to contact their guardian/parent and go home
- Physical distancing markers will be placed at the reception and the carpool entrance to the school.
- Student will go directly to their classroom
- Occupancy limited to 2 students whenever possible. Signs will be posted
- Students will be reminded daily to wash hands before and after using the washroom
- Recess times will be staggered
- Staff will monitor movement throughout the school continuously to ensure student safety
- Students in preschool to 3rd grade will eat lunch in their classroom,; whereas, 4th through 12th will have staggered lunch in the cafeteria.
- Whenever possible, physical education activities will take place outdoors
- Small classes will allow for social distancing
- Activities that allow social distancing will be encouraged
- Students will be required to wear non-medical masks while participating in physical activities
- Enhance cleaning of the elevator daily
- Occupancy limited to 2 persons
- Students are not permitted to use the elevator
- The School Nurse will be required to wear a mask and/or face shields, and surgical gloves when dealing with student, faculty, or staff medical issues
- An isolation room will be used to separate anyone who has COVID-19 symptoms or tests positive but does not have symptoms. The school nurse will use Standard and Transmission-Based Precautions when caring for sick people.